Friday, April 11, 2008

Ones a Month

While looking through some old pictures I came across this label and it brought back some not so fond memories. This bottle of liquid was the most horrible tasting stuff. It was for cramps, so believe me after a couple of times...no one knew when I had any problems. I think it was colored, flavored alcohol and who knows what else. But my Grandmother always had this on the self, it was kinda like Caster Oil, they gave it to you weather you needed it or not. I was wondering if anyone else remembered this being in their life???????

5 comments:

Janet said...

I don't remember the picture but I do remember Lydia Pinkham's being mentioned. Thankfully I never had to take it....it doesn't sound very good! I do remember my mom giving me small teaspoons of peppermint schnapps (!!) for a cough!! Today they'd probably arrest her!

Julie said...

I never had to endure the Lydia Pinkham cure in my lifetime, but I sure do remember reading about it - and beleive me it was pretty much all alcohol if not worse substances!!! So many women became addicted to LP and other "medicinal" cures that contained alcohol and laudanaum!!!

Cat said...

No Mam, not me! The only remedy I ever had to [but didn't mind] was hot water with a tsp of apple cider vinegar and a tsp of honey in it. It was given to me when I had a cold. I still mix up the concoction once in a while!

Stacey Olson said...

LOL. I recently recieved an email that had old advertisments in it. I was amazed at what they used to do in the name of "cures" thanks for sharing

The Feathered Nest said...

Oh Mary, the stuff sounds just awful!! I hate taking liquid medicine though...of course you can do the baby shoe pincushions! Everyone makes there own special version. They will be in the summer issue of Somerset Life July 1st!! I wrote instructions and everything! xxoo, Dawn