Sunday, March 30, 2008

Family History

While looking at some family pictures...this was the most interesting. Back row with arrow pointing at him is a Uncle of mine on my Mother's side of the family. John Spencer B. Dotson,
picture taken in 1912. Uncle John served in the Civil War Company B 6th West Virginia volunteer Calvalry. Uncle John lived to be 96 years old. He was in the battle of Gettysburg amoung others. We are blessed to have a Dotson family site that has taken us back to 1752, and still searching. It is really a gift to know some of our family history. I would love to talk with this man, but like most vets, he probably wouldn't say much. Thanks to my Sister Sharon, her countless hours searching for our family. I just love the way they all look, so many stories, some lost to us, they were just living their life.

3 comments:

Sharon Tomlinson said...

Avery interesting family photo. I wonder who all the other men are. And notice all the facial hair.

Beth said...

That is a great photo! I just love the old photos and wonder about the lives that you see in them. I know quite a bit about both sides of my family tree but would love to know more!
Have a great day!!!
xoxoxooxoxoxo

Julie said...

Fascinating. I love to see old photos when the history behind them is known. And it is so frustrating when you have old family photos that no one knows anything about.

My husband's family has been tracked back to 1700s Virginia and North Carolina. I'm sure they were Johnny Rebs in the Civil War. His great-grandfather left NC to come to ND on an immigrant train. Love family history!